Principles of Palliative Care in New South Wales
All Local Health Districts in New South Wales are required to plan for a comprehensive palliative care service, underpinned by the following key principles:
- The patient and his/her carers are the focus of care.
- Palliative care is provided in a setting appropriate to the patient and family needs and wishes.
- Palliative care is provided in a culturally appropriate way to accommodate the needs of all patients who require care.
- Service provision should reflect that palliative care can be required by children and young people, as well as adults.
- Early access to services that embody the concepts and principles of palliative care impacts significantly upon the well-being and quality of life of the patient.
- Access to the range of specialised disciplines is required to meet the complex needs of the palliative care patient and their family.
- Access to high quality clinical consultation for health care workers and a well-developed referral network is essential to high quality clinical care.
- High quality palliative care includes a focus on bereavement support/follow up for the patient and his or her partner, family, friends and informal and formal carers.
- Education for the patient and his or her partner, family and carers throughout the continuum of palliative care is an important element of high quality care.
- Education for general practitioners and other clinicians, as well as the wider community regarding the role and availability of the palliative care service in the area is an important aspect of the service role.
- Identification of the characteristics of clients, services and service outcomes provides a basis for improving the quality and effectiveness of service delivery.
- After the 2015 NSW Election – what’s next?
- NSW Rural Palliative Care Nurses Meeting Bathurst March 12 & 13 2015
- Palliative Care NSW endorses AMA’s call for improved access to out of hospital palliative care
- Public Health and Palliative Care International Conference Bristol May 2015
- PCNSW AGM Thursday 23rd October 2014
- National Palliative Care Week
- 24 May 15
- NSW Network of Managers of Palliative Care Volunteer Services – Quarterly Meeting
- 28 May 15
- Palliative Care Volunteer Conference 2015
- 29 May 15